The Saddleback men's tennis team defeated Bakersfield College, 7-2, on Friday at the Saddleback Tennis Complex. The Gauchos improved to 6-2 in non-conference play with the win.
Saddleback showed a lot of depth on the back end of the lineup and Bakersfield had no answers. The Gauchos won at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles before the back half of the singles lineup raced to wins over the Renegades.
Tyler Bloom, Chris Torcaso, Chad Henry and Oliver Ludwig were all two-time winners on the day. Bloom and Torcaso breezed past the doubles team of Manrico Cabaloza and Spencer Haines, 8-1, at No. 2 doubles to even the team match at 1-1. Henry and Ludwig then put Saddleback ahead with an 8-0 sweep at No. 3 doubles over Ivan Rivera and Conrad Dalton.
Torcaso (pictured) was equally impressive in singles play when he raced past Spencer Haines for a 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 4 singles. Ludwig followed with a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 6 singles against Ivan Ramirez as Saddleback grabbed a 4-1 lead. Ryan Fabre then finished off the team competition with a 6-0, 6-1 win against Nayib Rivera at No. 1 singles.
Bloom had his second win of the day when he scored a 6-1, 6-4 win against Manrico Cabalosa at No. 2 singles. Henry was a 6-2, 6-2 winner over Conrad Dalton at No. 5 singles.
Saddleback (8-6, 2-4) will be back on the courts on Tuesday when they attempt to complete a match with Irvine Valley College that was suspended due to rain. IVC led in the match, 2-0, when raindrops started to fall this past Tuesday (3/13).
1. Nayib Rivera & Alec Slykerman (BC) def. Ryan Fabre & Ivan Ozerets (SC) 8-3
2. Tyler Bloom & Chris Torcaso (SC) def. Manrico Cabaloza & Spencer Haines (BC) 8-1
3. Chad Henry & Oliver Ludwig (SC) def. Ivan Rivera & Conrad Dalton (BC) 8-0
1. Ryan Fabre (SC) def. Nayib Rivera (BC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Tyler Bloom (SC) def. Manrico Cabaloza (BC) 6-1, 6-4
3. Alec Slykerman (BC) def. Ivan Ozerets (SC) 6-4, 6-4
4. Chris Torcaso (SC) def. Spencer Haines (BC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Chad Henry (SC) def. Conrad Dalton (BC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Oliver Ludwig (SC) def. Ivan Rivera (BC) 6-1, 6-1