The Saddleback women's tennis team got some sweet revenge with a 6-3 win over Riverside City College on Thursday on the Saddleback Courts. The Gauchos made up for a loss to the Tigers earlier in the season to climb within a half game of second place in the Orange Empire Conference standings.
Saddleback had a hard-fought loss (5-4) at Riverside earlier in the season and desperately needed a win on Thursday in order to stay in the hunt with the top teams in the conference. The Gauchos were very businesslike on Thursday, closing out the Tigers in doubles play.
Saddleback took a 4-2 lead in singles, showing strength at all levels of the lineup. Dominique Willette scored a comfortable 6-2, 6-2 win over Hana Papaco at No. 1 singles to get the Gauchos going. Kristina Parks gutted out a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 3 singles, giving Saddleback an early 2-1 advantage. A key win in the team match came at No. 4 singles where Joanna Colin went three sets to beat Nani Nguyen, 6-1, 4-6, 6-1. Abril Marziali finished singles play with a 6-3, 6-3 win at No. 6 singles.
Willette and Parks were both two-time winners on the day, teaming up at No. 2 doubles for an 8-6 win. Joanna Colin was also a two-time winner after teaming with Jacklyn Melkonian for an 8-5 win at No. 1 doubles.
Saddleback (8-5, 4-3) has three matches remaining in conference play, starting with a match at Cypress College next Tuesday. The Gauchos and Chargers are set to do battle at 2:00 PM.
Saddleback is currently a half game back of both Riverside and Orange Coast in the OEC standings for second place. The Gauchos split with both the Tigers and Pirates this season. Irvine Valley leads the conference standings at 5-1.
1. Dominique Willette (SC) def. Hana Papaco (RCC) 6-2, 6-2
2. Gaby Ante (RCC) def. Jacklyn Melkonian (SC) 6-1, 6-2
3. Kristina Parks (SC) def. Ellia Rosado (RCC) 6-4, 6-4
4. Joanna Colin (SC) def. Nani Nguyen (RCC) 6-1, 4-6, 6-1
5. Ashley Bauman (RCC) def. Chloe Fahimian (SC) 6-3, 6-0
6. Abril Marziali (SC) def. Breyer Floyd (RCC) 6-3, 6-3
1. Melkonian & Colin (SC) def. Papaco & Ante (RCC) 8-5
2. Willette & Parks (SC) def. Nguyen & Bauman (RCC) 8-6
3. Rosado & Rajina Schlite (RCC) def. Fahimian & Marziali (SC) 8-5