The Saddleback men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season with a 6-3 win against Grossmont College on Friday afternoon at the Saddleback Tennis Complex. It's the first 3-0 start for the program since winning its first four to open the 2016 season.
Saddleback knew heading into the match that it would be their most difficult test of the season so far, facing a Grossmont program that finished second in the Pacific Coast Athletic Conference last season and advanced to the Southern California Regional Tournament.
Saddleback was up to the task, winning 4-of-6 singles matches and needing just one win in doubles play to secure the win. The Gauchos got a quick victory at No. 1 doubles when Shayan Haddad Kaveh and Chris Torcaso teamed for an 8-2 win against Lirone Abecassis and Diego Messieri to start the celebration.
For Torcaso, it was his second win of the day after a grueling tie-breaker win in singles play (4-6, 6-4, 10-7). Joining Torcaso with two wins on the day was both Lucas Fortt and Tyler Edwards. Fortt and Edwards combined for a 9-8 (7-3) win at No. 2 doubles. Edwards (pictured) was an easy 6-0, 6-0 winner earlier in the day at No. 2 singles while Fortt won at No. 4 singles, 6-4, 6-0.
Saddleback will play again on Tuesday when they travel to Santa Barbara City College to take on the Vaqueros. Match time is scheduled for 2:00 PM in Santa Barbara.
1) Lirone Abecassis (GC) def. Shayan Haddad Kaveh (SC) 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
2) Tyler Edwards (SC) def. Pablo Gentile (GC) 6-0, 6-0
3) Chris Torcaso (SC) def. Diego Messieri (GC) 4-6, 6-4 (10-7)
4) Lucas Fortt (SC) def. Austin Reynolds (GC) 6-4, 6-0
5) Ivan Ozerets (SC) def. James Susman (GC) 6-4, 7-5
6) Kent Abbott (GC) def. Oliver Ludwig (SC) 6-3, 6-1
1) Shayan Haddad Kaveh & Chris Torcaso (SC) def. Lirone Abecassis & Diego Messieri (GC) 8-2
2) Lucas Fortt & Tyler Edwards (SC) def. Pablo Gentile & Austin Reynolds (GC) 9-8 (7-3)
3) James Susman & Kent Abbott (GC) def. Ryan Burns & Oliver Ludwig (SC) 9-8 (7-2)