The Saddleback men's tennis team picked up a non-conference win on Friday with a 5-4 victory at Grossmont College in El Cajon. The depth on the back end was the difference in the match.
Saddleback lost the first three matches in singles play, forcing them into a corner if they were going to pull out a win. The Gauchos responded with wins at 4-5-6 singles and won 2-of-3 doubles matches to take home the win.
Chris Torcaso, Chad Henry and Oliver Ludwig evened up the singles portion of the match with wins at numbers 4-5-6, respectively. Henry (pictured) had to fight through a grueling third set and rallied to a 10-8 win, which was critical to the team win. Henry then teamed with Ludwig for an 8-2 win at No. 3 doubles while Torcaso was busy teaming with Tyler Bloom for an 8-5 win at No. 2 doubles.
Saddleback will play again on Tuesday when it travels to Riverside City College to take on the Tigers. Match time is scheduled for 2:00 PM in Riverside.
1. Lirone Abecassis (GC) def. Ryan Fabre (SC) 6-0, 6-3
2. Kaio Sato (GC) def. Tyler Bloom (SC) 4-6, 6-3, (11-9)
3. Tomas Bernardes (GC) def. Ivan Ozerets (SC) 6-2, 6-0
4. Chris Torcaso (SC) def. Pablo Gentile (GC) 6-1, 6-2
5. Chad Henry (SC) def. Andy Sorn (GC) 6-4, 3-6, (10-8)
6. Oliver Ludwig (SC) def. Brandon Sullivan (GC) 6-1, 6-0
1. Abecassis & Bernardes (GC) def. Fabre & David Lemus (SC) 8-2
2. Bloom & Torcaso (SC) def. Sato & Gentile (GC) 8-5
3. Henry & Ludwig (SC) def. Adam Ellestad & Sullivan (GC) 8-2